Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Favorite YA Books

I wanted to take a moment to list some of my favorite recent YA books and authors. This list is in no particular order, nor is it complete - there are simply too many wonderful books to name here:

Twilight (duh) – the story of Bella, Edward and Jacob, and the many forms of love, is simply some of the best storytelling I’ve encountered in years.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson – one of the best books I’ve ever read, period. Anderson has a way of beautifully expressing the agonies and ecstasies of adolescence. I highly recommend her novels. Don't miss her latest smash, Wintergirls.

If I Stay by Gayle Forman – quite possibly the most moving book I’ve read in ages. This story of a family tragedy had me laughing and crying without ever feeling overwhelmed. The writing is understated and sincere. READ THIS BOOK!

Artichoke’s Heart by Suzanne Supplee – what a gift this book is. It addresses an array of “issues” (self-esteem, illness, single parenthood, first love) with an authentic, charming and hopeful perspective. It’s a perfect selection for Mother-Daughter book groups.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie – a devastatingly raw and humorous look at life as an outsider. Alexie is one the greatest writers around and his first YA novel is astonishing and brilliant.

Sarah Dessen has written some of the best teen books of the past decade. Her books plumb the depths of the teen experience with honesty and profundity. Don’t miss Just Listen and the soon-to-be released paperback edition of Lock and Key.

Susane Colasanti is another author who has a way of capturing adolescence with pitch perfect dialog and understanding. When it Happens and the forthcoming Waiting for You are terrific.

Please, feel free to comment and share your own favorites.

For more selections and reviews, I highly recommend:
http://www.teensreadtoo.com/

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for recommending "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. There is a movement in Antioch, Illinois (near where I'm from) to ban it from the local high school. Between your recommendation and the attempt to ban it, I'm going to go out and read it immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been enjoying quite a few of the 2009 Debutantes (YA and MG) this year. Most of them are books I would never even have picked up on my own, but once you start reading the blurbs they sound fascinating.

    Favorites, though? Even limiting them to recent books, that's a tough call. There haven't been many books that I've really loved recently. Elizabeth Wein's Mark of Solomon and Anderson's Octavian Nothing are probably among the best I've read in the last year or two. There's also D. M. Cornish's series (amazing worldbuilding) and on the lighter side, there's The Order of Odd-Fish and Princess of the Midnight Ball, though I have yet to see how they stand up to rereads.

    ReplyDelete